Monday, March 3, 2008

Why do we want our kids talking

We live in a communication age where our ability to communicate is of paramount importance. Our young people need help to excel in this field to build strong self esteem, respect for others and develop strong leadership for a safer happier future.

To enable them to express themselves through their thoughts and feelings.
For them to be able to identify their goals for life and to clearly express those goals.
To be able to understand and appreciate others and to be able to respond appropriately to their communication.
To be able to confidently participate in discussion with both peers and adults


So how are we doing this?
Cornwall Park District School course started on February 19th 2008. We have 12 student and they all enjoy the chance to speak on a variety of topics. They have perticipated in difference exercises that encourage speaking, listening and the ability to think before they speak. Today we are starting week 3.
This week I also start a course at ACLC in Mt Eden. This course will follow the Cornwall Park course, but as they are a different group of student the course will be adapted to their needs.
I will let you all know how the week goes... I have also returned to University to study Psychology. This is challenging as I also have Multiple Sclerosis. The challenge is getting around the campus, to make friends and to enjoy the process. It will be an interesting year with courses and university.

No comments: